SooYeonKim_Clusive_Page_01.jpg

Clusive

Clusive

 

Background

I worked under Kyla Fullenwider for the first social design project. Kyla asked us to write an issue statement for the change we are passionate about to see in our society. The goal of this project was to explore the five levers of social change and come up with one final design intervention for the social issue that we chose.

 

Issue Statement

Many young females suffer from having eating disorders because they are not satisfied with their body images. By creating a community that encourages sharing similar experiences and giving feedbacks, we can improve their self-esteem and help them to love their bodies.

 

Task 

Initially we came up with five design interventions using five levers of social change, such as Bright Spots, Data and Insights, Policy Shifts, Public Perception and Disruptive Technology. 

While we had to create a visual deliverable, we were also asked to identify five possible barriers of our final design interventions, and we had to suggest five corresponding solutions.

 

Design Intervention: Disruptive Technology

For my solution to the issue, I designed an app that creates a community for women who are concerned with their body image and/or are currently suffering from having eating disorder. I am targeting young females who are 16-25 years old in urban settings. I am specifically targeting those in the late majority of the distribution chart. 

While we had to create a visual deliverable, we were also asked to identify five possible barriers of our final design interventions, and we had to suggest five corresponding solutions.

 

Reflection

I think Clusive is an appropriate and successful design solution to my issue statement regarding those young females who are suffering from having eating disorders. Most people who have psychological issue need someone to talk to rather than an intensive counselling sessions. Clusive is an easy & approachable way to engage this group of people who have a common interest to open up and share their experiences. 

I learned a lot through this social design project. I spent most of my time researching, generating ideas and refining concepts rather than designing the actual layouts of the app. The process of identifying possible barriers was especially helpful; it encouraged me to analyze my design solution from different perspectives, so I could revise my work thoroughly to make it stronger. I grew as a designer because I focused more on creating an experience for the users rather than making this app looking “nice.”

 

Credits
Maryland Institute College of Art,
Not for Commercial Use

 

Blog
Check out my post about Kyla's workshop on MICA GD Blog.